This recipe was used by my grandmother Yetter in Pennsylvania and was given to me by my mother 30 years ago. I serve this every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Even the family members who say they don’t like oysters, like this dish if the oysters are finely chopped. – From Orian Shook, Coventry CT
- 1/2 box of unsalted Saltines, squeezed in their sleeve until coarsely broken
- 1 pint of oysters with liquid – whole or chopped
- 1 stick of softened butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- The Farmer’s Cow Milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 9″ square glass pan or loaf pan with butter.
- Layer Saltines and oysters in the pan using 1/4 of ingredients per layer
- Start with layer of crushed Saltines followed by layer of oysters
- Dot with butter slices and salt and pepper. Repeat for 4 layers.
- Refrigerate until ready to bake no more than 2 hours.
- Pour enough milk over the layers until it covers the top layer.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35- 40 minutes. Serve immediately.