I make this hearty strata every year for Christmas brunch. The best part is that it can be prepared the day before and refrigerated overnight so in the morning all you have to do is pop it in the oven. Hope you enjoy!
– From Jillian Miner, Coventry
- 1 1/2 lbs ground breakfast sausage
- 4 The Farmer’s Cow eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups The Farmer’s Cow half and half
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 6-8 slices potato bread, or other soft white bread, crusts removed
- 2 cups grated Cabot sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives or green onions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter a 13 x 9 baking dish.
Heat a large skillet over med-high heat. Cook sausage until browned, 5-7 minutes, and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb extra grease.
Whisk together the eggs, half and half, sage, salt, and pepper. Layer the bread in the buttered baking dish and top with the sausage. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and top with the cheese.
Bake until the strata is set in the middle, about 30-40 minutes. Let cool 15- 20 minutes. Garnish with chives just before serving.