- 1/4 c lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 g The Farmer’s Cow Whole Milk 2 c The Farmer’s Cow Heavy Cream 2 t salt
- Line colander with triple layer of cheesecloth and place in sink.
- Combine lemon juice and vinegar in liquid measuring cup; set aside. Heat milk and salt in heavy bottom sauce pan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently with rubber spatula to prevent scorching, until milk simmers (180-185 degrees).
- Remove pot from heat, slowly stir in lemon juice vinegar mixture until fully incorporated and mixture curdles, about 15 seconds. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes.
- Gently pour mixture into prepared colander. Let sit, undisturbed, until whey has drained from edges of cheese but center is still very moist, about 8 minutes. Working quickly, gently transfer cheese to large bowl, retaining as much whey in center of cheese as possible.
- Refrigerate ricotta until cold, about 2 hours.
- Stir cheese before using. Ricotta can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
This recipe has been adapted from Cook’s Illustrated. Use ricotta in both sweet and savory applications.