This recipe needs to sit over night before baking so it is perfect to have ready to bake fresh on Christmas morning. And makes good use of left over bread.
Cut into single-serve squares to refrigerate or freeze for easy week-day breakfasts.
Makes 12 squares
Number Served: 8-12
Prep Time: 25 min. + 8 hour or overnight
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- 8 cups of cubed stale bread
- 8 to12 oz cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cups shredded melting cheese such as Havarti or Mystic Cheese Co.’s Melville
- 8 large The Farmer’s Cow eggs
- 3 cups The Farmer’s Cow milk
- 1 tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp black pepper
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish
- Place the bread crumbs, the crumbled bacon, the bell pepper, the onion and 1-1/2 cups of the shredded cheese in the baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard and salt and pepper.
- Pour whisked mixture over the ingredient in the baking dish.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate over night or for at least 8 hours
- To bake, preheat the oven 350 degree
- Cover the dish with foil and bake 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Uncover and sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top.
- Return to oven for 15 minutes
- Cool slightly before cutting into squares to serve.