The Best Baked French Toast
Makes 6-8 servings
4 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
(For fantastic results get a good bakery loaf and cut it into extra thick slices -about 1 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or margarine, melted
- 4 whole The Farmers Cow eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups The Farmers Cow milk
- 1 cup The Farmers Cow Heavy Cream or 4 cups The Farmers Cow Half & Half
- 1 tbs. vanilla powered sugar
- 3 cups fresh berries or 3 cups other fresh fruit, cut up
- Brush both sides of bread with melted butter and arrange slices evenly in the bottom of a 9X13 pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together whole eggs and egg yolks.
- Beat in milk, cream and vanilla.
- Strain the custard over bread, making sure that each slice is evenly moistened.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until custard is set and top lightly browned.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes
- Cut into squares
- Sprinkle with powered sugar and serve with berries or other fruit.